When you are getting ready to go camping, it is very useful to have a list that allows you to check quickly and easily if you have everything you need.
Otherwise, you may end up forgetting something that could make your life easier when you arrive at your destination, so we have prepared this simple list in the form of an infographic that will help you when you do not know what to take to a campsite.
We have not included in it, however, two items that are absolutely essential this year: hydroalcoholic gel and face masks. And we haven’t done so because we expect both to fall off the list of essentials sooner rather than later, but until that happens, remember that you can’t forget them at home!
What To Take To A Camping Trip According To The Occasion
Obviously, you will not need the same equipment if you are planning a solo mountain trekking as if you are planning a family vacation at a mountain or beach campsite.
In the first case, aspects such as the lightness of the equipment and protection against the cold or rain will be more important, while in the second case, comfort will be more important.
In this article we will include essential things to go camping in any situation, but we will also add complementary items that you may or may not need depending on the type of camping.
Therefore, you will have to adapt this list to go camping depending on factors such as:
- Number of people.
- Type of camping: mountain camping, family camping, etc.
- Available space or maximum weight you can afford. If you are going to carry a backpack, it is important that you do not carry too much.
- Time of year and weather forecast: it is especially important to take into account the temperatures you will face and the forecast of rain or strong winds, many times we know what to take to a campsite but due to changes in the weather we can forget essential things.
Camping Sleeping Equipment
- Tent. This is the essential item when thinking about what to take to a campsite. You must take into account the number of people who are going to use it and whether or not you need extra space to store things inside the tent. For two people, there are very light and easy to assemble models that can adapt to almost any situation and climate. In any case, nowadays you can find reliable and quality tents for all kinds of requirements and budgets.
- Keep in mind not to forget the pegs, poles and poles necessary for the assembly. It is also very useful to carry a hammer to hammer the pegs.
- Sleeping bag. This is another basic piece of equipment to take on a camping trip. To choose it you must take into account the outside temperature and the time of the year, and there are models for all needs.
- Inflatable bed. If you want to enjoy maximum comfort and you can afford the extra weight they entail, inflatable beds are an excellent option. In this case you may need an electric inflator. There are also self-inflating mattresses that take up very little space.
- Pillow. For greater comfort, it is highly recommended to choose a pillow that adapts to the way you sleep, to take up less space you can always find inflatable pillows.
Especially for a family vacation, the kitchen equipment is a basic element to enjoy a good camping experience. In any case, you will have to adapt it to the space you have and the number of people traveling.
- Camping gas
- Small refrigerator
- Cooking accessories: pot, pan, plates, glasses and cutlery. For short excursions it may be sufficient to carry a lunch box.
- Lighter: Although it is one of the necessary items to bring to a campsite you should always be careful with them, especially in drier environments!
- Garbage bags. It is essential to collect all our waste and leave the camping site in the same conditions in which we found it.
- Water bottle. Proper hydration is of vital importance to have a good camping experience, especially in cases of high temperatures or if we do hiking.
When we think about what to take to a camping is interesting to have all the necessary elements and hygiene products, some of the most essential are:
- Shampoo and gel
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
This is a section of vital importance when reviewing the things to take to a campsite. We must especially take into account the weather forecast and the time of the year when we go camping. In any case, items such as a light raincoat or a spare pair of shoes are basic elements that we will need in almost any case.
- Warm clothing
- Underwear. It is especially important to pay attention to underwear, as it is the first layer that is in direct contact with our body and is essential to maintain body temperature.
- Comfortable shoes
Health and Safety
- Hydroalcoholic gel and masks. As we have already said, this year, at least, they are essential. In addition, we must take into account that in a campsite the sanitary facilities are collective, so we must take extreme precautions whenever we are out of our plot.
- Basic medicines, such as aspirin or paracetamol, an antihistamine, a stomach protector, as well as what is necessary to cure small wounds or scratches (bandages, plasters, disinfectant…).
- Flashlight or lamp. A camping lamp may be essential if you are camping in a place without electricity supply, but even in a campsite it may be necessary in case of blackouts due to storms or similar. If you don’t want to depend on batteries, a solar lamp may be the best option.
- Insect repellent or citronella candles, especially in summer and in hot and humid areas. It is one of the accessories that we do not remember when we think about what to take camping.
- Walking sticks. For hiking in rugged terrain, or just for comfort, a good pair of hiking poles can make your life easier.
- Sunscreen. Sunscreen is essential to protect us from dangerous ultraviolet radiation, especially at the beach or in the mountains. You should keep in mind that even with cloudy skies it may be necessary to apply sunscreen.
- Toilet paper
- Cell phone and charger. If you foresee that you will not have access to mains electricity every day, it may be advisable to carry a portable battery to recharge your cell phone.
If you use this camping checklist when preparing your vacation, you will no longer have any doubts about what to take to a campsite.
Simply go through all the items one by one and adapt the equipment to your particular circumstances. In short, it’s all about finding a balance between comfort and weight or volume of luggage. So now you know, get ready and enjoy the adventure!